Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hunger Games at the Tower Tour Road Race

Hunger Games Salute
Today I raced in Baraboo, Wisconsin at the Tower Tour road race.  The course was pretty hard with 1,100 feet of climbing per lap, to add to that it was 90 degrees at the start of the 1/2's race.  The race got of to a pretty quick start with a group of four taking off and getting a small gap.  They were away until about half way into the 2nd lap Tony Olson went insane up a half mile climb and caught up to the break.  I counter-attacked when we caught the break and I was followed by one rider and we caught a rider that was about 15 seconds ahead of us.  The 3 of us began to work really well and quickly got a very sizeable gap.  After cresting the finish climb one of the guys in the break came apart, and drifted off the back.  I continued to work with my remaining breakaway companion for the next lap, but started to notice he was getting pretty tired.  I decided to attack with 12 miles to go and I was able to stay away until the finish with a one minute gap on a chase group of four.  I am really glad to have won my first race in Slipstream-Craddock colors and couldn't wish for a better team to ride for!

No comments:

Post a Comment